Fee Structure of Contingency Fees – No Win- No Fee
The majority of our cases are undertaken under a contingency or “no win no fee” basis. In simple terms this means that if we do any work for you and we are not able to achieve a successful result (ie you end up in the same position as you were in at the stage our company became involved in the case) – then there will be no charge for the services we have provided. However if we do any work for you and do achieve a successful result (i.e. you end up in a better position than you were in at the stage our company became involved in the case) – then there will be a charge for the services we have provided.
Non Contingency Fees (Time and Attendance fees)
We also offer non contingency fee services such as representation at disciplinary or investigation meetings or for situations where a financial outcome is not being sought and our fee for this service is $250 + GST per hour.
Cost Structure of Fees
- For “no win – no fee” cases that are resolved up to and including mediation level – you will be charged a base fee of $300.00; plus 33% (1/3) of any financial settlement that is achieved up to the first $15,000 and then 15% thereafter being $150 per $1,000 over and above $15,000.
- The only additional fees that may apply would be in the case of an employer refusing to attend mediation at which point we would have to file your case with the Employment Relations Authority. The application fee required by the Authority is $71.56 (including GST). Employers will, at this point, be directed to mediation.
- If your case is not resolved during mediation both your advocate and the mediator will discuss taking your case to the Employment Relations Authority. The mediator will work through a risk analysis in relation to your case pointing out the strengths and potential risks; (this is part of the mediator’s role). Your advocate will also provide you with independent advice as to the likelihood of your case being successfully resolved at the Employment Relations Authority enabling you to make an informed decision on whether to proceed to the next stage.
- On rare occasions during mediation where the employer has made an offer to settle that the advocate representing you thinks is fair and reasonable considering your case and has advised you to accept – if you decline to accept the offer and want to proceed to the Employment Relations Authority, we reserve the right to charge the base fee up front (provided for in Clause 3 e ) of $1,500.00 plus GST to take your case to the Authority.
- For “no win – no fee” cases that are resolved through an Employment Relations Authority Investigation – you will be charged a base fee of $1500.00; plus⅓ (33.3%) +gst of any financial settlement that is achieved up to the first $15,000 and then 15% thereafter being $150 per $1,000 over and above $15,000.
- In some cases there may be what is considered an extraordinary amount of work or work that falls outside the usual scope of a case; this could include a large amount of documentation to sift through, gathering and tracking down witness for statements, several overseas calls or travel etc. Work which falls outside the usual scope may be charged on a quoted hourly rate basis. We shall advise you as soon as reasonably practicable, if it becomes necessary for us to provide services outside the agreed scope. The agreed scope includes (but is not limited to) separate charges for courier fees, photocopying, telephone calls, facsimile charges, postage, forms, etc. Upon request, we will provide you with a written estimate of the likely amount of the further costs.
Any questions about our services or fees? Call us on 0800 446 669 or email us through our contact form.
I was very impressed by the excellent professional services provided by Work Law, particularly, Kam Bailey who took my case in Auckland while she is based in New Plymouth. She flew to Auckland to attend my mediation. Kam is caring, empathetic, and has in-depth experience in navigating the complexities of NZ Employment Law. She delivers on her promises, is a pillar of support during the most challenging aspects of the process and with her calm assurance, knowledge and tenacity, she helps ensure a positive and timely outcome. I cannot begin to thank her enough. She was always happy to help, willing to answer my numerous queries, alleviated my concerns and demonstrated an expertise and professionalism that I was ecstatic to find in an Employment Advocate. If in the unfortunate event I do need help in the Employment Law arena again I will call Kam from Work Law.
Thanks very much for your fantastic help at mediation yesterday.
I want you to know that your support meant a lot to me. I couldn't have done it without you.
Everyone said that I needed an employment lawyer but I couldn’t afford to. Then a community law person suggested I call Work Law and that they had heard really good things about them. I’m so happy I did. Thank you so much 🙏.
I was set up by my Employers, they had gone around the staff looking for anything to use to fire me. They made up to charges and I was emailed at 5:45pm on a Friday night that I was required to attended a meeting with their lawyer the following tue, and I could have Monday off to get ready for it! I was in shock, beside myself and confused. I contacted No Win No Fee first thing Monday morning and was made to feel more in control and listened too! They set me up with Ruth who was amazing! With her support and advice I was able to stand up for myself, and walk away with from such a terrible Work place with my head held high and some reimbursement for all the stress and trauma they infected on me!
The whole experience with these guys deserves a 5 star review!! The first phone call, the way I was listened to, being referred to my Advocate (Sandy) and speaking to her within the hour. It was all 5 star worthy. The advice she gave me and the questions she asked to get to the bottom of the matter made everything clearer even to me as I was down a rabbit hole and couldn't figure out what was going on. Would highly recommend them. Turns out the whole situation was a blessing in disguise as I have come out if it with not just my pride in tact but with a great reference and some financial compensation. I cannot recommend this place enough!
I was extremely happy that somebody from WorkLaw picked up my call to 0800 number on a Friday evening. That person was Kam Bailey who, even was after 17:30, took the time to listen and decided to take the case after hearing my story. Kam’s professionalism, kindness, willingness to go the extra mile and the knowledge of the employment laws helped me to successfully resolve my employment dispute. Kam is true to her motto “Do more for others than you would do for yourself” and I cannot recommend her enough. A huge Thank You from all of us
A massive thank you to Kam for all your incredible support, your diligence and your human touch which can be so rare in this world. I was experiencing an awful situation in my employment and Kam comforted both myself and my Husband and put us at ease. She was professional, kind and had in-depth knowledge in this type of stressful situation and the industry itself. I would not hesitate to recommend Kam Bailey. I will never be able to thank you enough!
My employer unfairly dismissed me without correct process. My Advocate out maneuvered my sneaky employer and her lawyer at every turn and I won my case !!! I couldn't be happier, thank you so much Work Law.
Submit your review